RE: [ihc] COE 4x4 Loadstars

## >> > Joel, I'm really starting to like this idea. That style of cab would
## >> > certainly fit better with the home made "cabin" I'm
## >> thinking of building. It
## >> > will definitely be function over style, and I'd prefer the
## >> whole thing be
## >> > simple and angular rather than just the back half. The
## >> price is certainly
## >> > right. I wish I had one in front of me to look at and
## >> measure for fitment,
## >> > etc... Anyone on-list ever done something like this? I
## >> guess the main
## >> > modifications would be steering and shift linkages, and
## >> seating. Am I
## >> > overlooking anything major (besides storage and work space...)?
## >> >
## >> > Thanks,
## >> >
## >> > John A.
## >>
## >> My main caution would be - is it possible to purchase a cab assembly
## >> complete with all the sheet metal and and other hard to get pieces?
## >>
## >> Having to fabricate such would diminish the practicality of
## >> mating such a
## >> cab with a 1210 or 1300 frame.
## >> --
## >> Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided

from everything i've seen and heard, the answer is no, you can't get a
compleat cab.  generally speaking, these cabs are excessed because they are
deemed beyond repair or salvage, or missing too many parts to make repair
economical.  often that means they are missing critical parts or that
important structural members are damaged.  you won't find the missing parts
in the lots liquidated with the cabs.  Osh-Kosh can't/won't sell the
neccessary parts to the general public, and the military won't sell them if
they can use them, which means if they're not there you're going to have to
fab something up.  if the military can't use these parts, the odds are good
that neither can anyone else without a lot of work.  you will find HMMWV
doors, hoods, and tops, 2.5-ton and 5-ton doors, tops, top bows, and related
equipment or sheet metal.  but HEMTT/LVS doors or tops (for those few with
open tops or crew-served weapons mounts)?  not very likely.  if they're
selling this stuff through the DRMO/DRMS, it means Osh-Kosh said they
couldn't or wouldn't recycle them.  what does that tell you?

that's not to say the stuff is useless, or that Joel F's idea won't work.  i
think it's a sound idea, but be prepared for some work to make it happen.
it's not a drop-in transplant and it's going to take some problem-solving on
the part of anybody who wants to tackle the project.  i think it'd be great,
myself.  extremely difficult to make work with my B182, with that short
wheelbase and all, but...  hrmmm...  what else do i have that i can play
with?  hrmmmmm....

## >> Aren't those cabs extremely wide?

the cabs measure 96 inches wide, not counting things like mirrors and
external fixtures.  these are *BIG* trucks.  they're also built to
accomodate 56" tires (the standard tire diameter for both the HEMTT and the
LVS) and i'm pretty sure a wider than normal frame.  they also have a very
large centre engine hump.  that's not to say it can't be done, that they
can't be adapted to fit something like a 1300 or 1500 chassis, but it'll be
a chore, for sure.  they are cab-forward, and place the driver five or six
feet in front of the leading axle in the two steering axles and entirely in
front of the leading tires, which is to say the cab sticks *WAY* out in
front.  i don't know what it'll take to hook up a steering and shifting
setup to use these with a conventional chassis, but i'll bet it'll be
complicated, and i don't think the cabs come with any of that gear in them.

here's some good information on the HEMTT and MK48 LVS trucks, including
full specs:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/hmett.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/mk48.htm

## >> As far as travelalls, the D series is only longer in the
## >> 74-75 years.  I was
## >> trying to say that it's close enough to be the same, but left
## >> out a few
## >> words after "long bed pickup."

according to the Crismon book, the Unistar has a 121" wheelbase.  TravelAlls
from 1969 through 1973 have a 119" wheelbase, TravelAlls in 1974 and 1975
have 120" wheelbase.  i'm pretty sure A and B series TravelAlls 1957 to 1960
have a 114" wheelbase, and i don't remember what they have from 1961 through
1969.  sorry, but it's been a really long day and i don't feel like crawling
over there and opening the Grey Bible right now.  i'll probably just drop it
and break my foot if i tried to pick it up anyway.  i'll look later if
somebody really wants to know.

## >> And I never thought there was such a thing as too heavy duty
## >> of a drive
## >> train!  ;)  Less stuff to break if you're really using the rig.
## >>
## >> -Ryan

that's my take on it too.  bigger and heavier equals more resistant to
Mandera-like activities (no offense, Tom), or worse, Mac-like mistakes.  i'm
all for it.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton