RE: Re[4]: [ihc] Engine ID by pic

## >> As far as the 258 goes, perhaps because if one needs 3/4 or 1 ton,
## >> one probably would be much happier with a larger engine.  I'd bet that
## >> the production numbers for 1210/six are quite small in comparison to
## >> the 1210/eight numbers.
## >>
## >> OK, my TA is 1210 and 4x4 with a factory installed AMC engine,
## >> whereas the majority of AMC engines seem to have found their way into
## >> 1/2 ton 2WD models(excluding Scout/Terra/Traveler).
## >>
## >> Does anyone know of other either 1210 or 4x4 models with AMC(excluding
## >> Scout/Terra/Traveler)?

according to the Crismon book on pages 435, 443, and 456, in late 1971
(technically 1972 year model), 1972, and 1973 the standard engine for IH
trucks/TravleAlls was the AMC 258 six cylinder.  the AMC 232 was standard in
year models 1970 and 1971 according to pages 422 and 435.  if what the book
says is correct, this applies to all models, 4x2 and 4x4.

from 1960 to 1969, the standard engine was an SV (first the 266, later the
304).  from 1959 back, for every model it would have been an IH six
cylinder, with the first SVs available as options begining with the B in
1959.

if i'm reading this correctly, from '70 to '73, unless you asked for a V8
engine, you got the six; from '60 to '69, unless you asked for a six, you
got the V8.

my usual nickel and grain of salt.  feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton