[ihc] Comment on oil

On Dec 1, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Jim or Ginger Aos wrote:

but during that time there was no significant drop in oil pressure. 15 psi at high idle and 40 psi at 2500 rpm.
Cheers Jim A.

The Paradise Garage has completed its test on running Mobil 1 for extended periods, changing only the filter. The oil pretty much only got better as it "aged".

They are now deeply in the test of Amsoil, and they are finding an interesting anomaly. The 5-30 that they are using has moved toward 40 weight as it as aged. Just the opposite of what one might expect. The Amsoil, too, has continued to provide excellent lubrication although there has been some concern about the change in the TBN rating.

It seems pretty obvious that they are not going to be able to come up with a definitive "best oil" as both of these have performed very well indeed. They are moving on to Red Line next.

They need sponsors for their oil testing, and I felt that my $20 was well spent. Of course, all digesters already know that I'm an easy mark, even sending Richard money to keep the digest up and running. How easy can you get? Just kidding, of course, this digest has enriched my life.

By the way, anyone else notice the near disappearance of Joel B. since he got a new job? New job and a girl friend in the LA area may be keeping him busy.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs