Re: [ihc] Turbo Binder Motors

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Mandera" <tsm1@domain.elided>
To: "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
Cc: "ken.dunnington" <ken.dunnington@domain.elided>; <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 12:19
Subject: Re: [ihc] Turbo Binder Motors

> Jim Grammer wrote:
>
> > high end(I'm guessing above 3500RPM. OTOH, a T-04 with a '54' trim
> > compressor looks to put the 2500-4000RPM range totally in the sweet spot
of
> > the map, and might be a good choice for extended highway towing(Mandera?
> > ;) ). I would prolly lean toward the smaller unit. Open question are
a/r's

> > *If* you could direct mount the turbo to the manifold, flipping the
exhaust
> > manifolds(or using tractor/stationary manifolds) would allow greatly
> > simplified routing. Straight up and over to the turbine inlet. BUT....on
an
> > SV-8, the dang t-stat housing is right in the way! :( Unless, of course,
you
> > turn the whole mess sideways :)
>
> Y'know, I've considered a turbo'd tow motor.. it would sure help cut
> down on the altitude loss going over those big passes in Colorado.. but
> I think I built my 392 a bit "much" to start thinking about adding boost.
>
> Of course, that just means I have to build another 392, with a lot less
> compression, so I can force feed it more.

I was going to suggest that you go ahead and put a turbo on your tow motor
and just set it to sea level (or even some altitude above that), you'd still
get everything you wanted anyway as far as power loss with altitide  IE: get
an aneroid wastegate that gives boost to keep your power the same, not to
give you a PSI over ambient.  And then I remembered that you probobly
wouldn't be able to resist turning up the boost more than that and then
you'd have the actual *need* to build that second 392...

-Ryan

---