Re: [ihc] Question on tow rig***DIESEL***

On Nov 19, 2004, at 6:38 PM, John Fleck wrote:

Looking for some opinions from all who have experience with the New Dodge,
Ford, and Chevy Diesel trucks that tow with them and use them for long
trips. I want a Dullie for stability, and am leaning towards Quad/Crew cab
for the longer length.
My Dodge Cummins is a 98 so isn't exactly a good arguing point for the new Dodge. However, my cousin, a couple of months ago, bought the 3500 with the 6 speed tranny, exhaust brake, and the deluxe interior. It's the 4 door cab with the long bed. Lots and lots of truck.

Personally, I really like the extended cab that we have and I really like the short bed, as that makes the overall length much more suitable for off-roading. Our truck has done remarkably well, on some fairly difficult runs. Its only big disadvantage is its width. If we were hauling kids rather than the two mutts, we'd probably want door access to the rear seats, but they are irrelevant to the dogs.

1. Witch Truck do you like the best? Chevy Duramax, Ford Powerstroke, or
Dodge Cummings and why?
Any of the three would be a good choice. I'd go with the Cummins, but pretty much strictly on old affection for the brand. My son's company buys the Powerstrokes by the dozen at a time, and they have had a very good experience with these trucks.

2. If you tow what options are a must have for you on trips?
What options would you get if you had to do it over again??

3. Do you have an extended cab and wish you had the longer crew cab option
with 4 doors?

4. How many of you have bumped up the numbers with chips and add on
performance/mileage accessories?
I have the Amsoil air filter, and I put a kit into the injection system that brought the power up considerably. If I had a manual tranny, I could have put in either of the two more extreme power kits. The feeling of diesel guys that I respect is that a Banks kit, or exhaust modifications on my particular truck would add little except cost.

5. Overall Thoughts on Towing car haulers all the time, and trips to various
Scout Shows?
Any of the three could easily handle the job. I, like Mark or Steve, would not go with the dualies. Just not necessary.

Thanks and this should be a long and interesting thread
You know, I think the bottom line on which body configuration to go with depends on whether or not you will want to use it for much of anything besides towing. Our truck is dual purpose, make that three way purpose, and the configuration it is in is perfect for us.

My only real complaint is that our truck gets terrible fuel mileage. John Landry who has pretty much the same truck in 2WD and with a long bed gets half again as good fuel mileage as we. The problem with ours may be gear ratio, but I haven't looked into that.

I need to point out that any of the diesels we're talking about should go 300,000 miles or more. In the case of the Dodge (with which I have had experience) you can pay $60,000 for a 4WD truck that will go the 300,000 miles, or around $25,000 for a truck that only has 250,000 miles left on it. The math is easy, I think.

John

Fleckster

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline