Re: [ihc] Question on tow rig***DIESEL***

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, John Hofstetter wrote:

On Nov 19, 2004, at 6:38 PM, John Fleck wrote:

Looking for some opinions from all who have experience with the New Dodge,
Ford, and Chevy Diesel trucks that tow with them and use them for long
trips. I want a Dullie for stability, and am leaning towards Quad/Crew cab
for the longer length.
My Dodge Cummins is a 98 so isn't exactly a good arguing point for the new Dodge. However, my cousin, a couple of months ago, bought the 3500 with the 6 speed tranny, exhaust brake, and the deluxe interior. It's the 4 door cab with the long bed. Lots and lots of truck.

<snip>

You know, I think the bottom line on which body configuration to go with depends on whether or not you will want to use it for much of anything besides towing. Our truck is dual purpose, make that three way purpose, and the configuration it is in is perfect for us.
<snip>

I need to point out that any of the diesels we're talking about should go 300,000 miles or more. In the case of the Dodge (with which I have had experience) you can pay $60,000 for a 4WD truck that will go the 300,000 miles, or around $25,000 for a truck that only has 250,000 miles left on it. The math is easy, I think.
Having driven a looooooonng wheelbase IHC 4X4 pickup truck, if I were to purchase another looooong wheelbase truck, my criteria (which diesel engine aside) would include how much room "necessary to make a U-turn?"

It's a PITA to have to back & fill to make a U-turn on a 4-lane roadway.

So. do you really need that loooooooooong wheel base?

I know, I don't live in the mountains.

YMMV

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided