Re: [ihc] Re: Paystar

On Nov 17, 2004, at 8:08 PM, J. Michael Daugherty wrote:

John,
Thirty one years ago I rode in a Paystar cement mixer - actually it was probably just a strategy to keep me from getting run over but made the day something I'll always remember. They put me in the cab as soon as the truck showed up and I stayed there until the truck was leaving. There was no passenger seat, I sat on the heater box or something mounted to the floor where the passenger seat would go (I think that it even had the truck's electrical schematic diagram on the side of it). We didn't travel more than 500 yards but it was an International and I got to be up in the cab when the truck was running. It makes me smile to think about it; it also makes me want to drive one!
Also, the Paystar has very cool front fenders that are sort of boxy looking and fabricated out of diamond plate or some similar patterned steel.
Thanks for triggering the memory, Mike
It wasn't an IH, but Mike's post reminded me that when I was about 7 years old, I got to spend a couple of different days riding in a Mack logging truck, hauling the really big logs that were being harvested then. The big thrill was being in the cab when the loader dropped one of those big suckers down on the trailer. The whole truck would drop to its knees, so to speak, shudder, and then come more or less back up to its running condition. That truck was not fancy!

My mom put a stop to my taking rides in that truck when we came down a long steep grade with no brakes. I couldn't wait to tell her about it, and then I wished I had kept my mouth shut. The truck driver was probably pooping his pants, but I guess I saw it as kind of a roller coaster ride.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs