Re: [ihc]IH-Stars

The standard answer for a writeup on anything on IH trucks is Crismon's
"International Trucks"--the bible.

To understand the stars, keep in mind that in the 60's and 70's, the
model numbering system pretty much defined the relative position of a
model in the size lineup, starting with the Scout 800, the Light Line in
the low 1000s up to the on/off-highway 5000s.

I don't know how the Scout and Light Line escaped becoming stars, but the
Loadstar was the low end with the 1600-1900 series trucks.  There was
also a cab-over version that started as the CO-Loadstar, later becoming
the Cargostar after a face lift. The Fleetstar series were two
medium-heavy models in the 2000s.  The Transtars, both conventional and
CO, were the highway tractors in the 4000 series, and the Paystar was the
5000 series construction truck--I wonder why it wasn't the Rock Star
since a lot of them were dump trucks?

There were a few lesser-know stars as well.  There was a prototype called
a Dockstar, which was a Loadstar with a one man cab with a flat deck on
the right side so it could be driven up to a dock and unloaded from the
front as well as the rear.  This never made it to production.  A
heavy-duty version of the Cargostar utilizing the Paystar chassis called
the CO-5370 for severe service as a garbage packer was unofficially known
as the Garbagestar.  The Engineering Road Test shop had a cart of
batteries and starting aids for getting trucks that had been setting for
a long time started which was stenciled with the label Startstar.

Howard