Re: [ihc] Blowing 345

DORKIEST@domain.elided wrote:
Long story short: Will a Harbor Freight engine stand hold a 392?
or should I build my own, Or just gusset the HF.
I use a "HF" like stand. Mine is rated for 1250lbs and was $40-$50 from the traveling Chinese tool gypsies.

The easiest tell-tale sign is that while the 750lbs stands have a "T" shaped bottom, mine is "U" shaped, with two legs going forward along the sides of the engine (under it, of course) instead of a single leg under the center.

The only time I had a real problem with the stand was when I was dragging it through my gravel driveway and the 345 was *bouncing* on the stand.. I broke one of the 4 mounting arms. ;)

I was also looking for Tom M.'s write up on rebuilding his 900 mile 392?
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq will get you details on my first engine project, the 345 in my Scout.

Go here:

http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=&topic=6&allstories=1

and maybe search the BB forums (there are a few long threads about it) for details on the stroked, bored, ported, polished, cammed, powder-coated, polished-rod, balanced 406cid 392 project in my truck... including it's 900-mile freshening up (grrr).

I apologize that a lot of the earlier pictures are missing.. I lost a hard drive with a bunch of pictures at about that time. :(

The 392/406 is running great these days, and is in my Travelette. I can pull just about any grade I've encountered in Montana - while pulling my car trailer w/ a Scout on it - in top gear. Usually at 75mph (same as the flats), sometimes it'll pull down to 65mph or so.. it takes a pretty big hill to make me drop into 4th (T-35 direct 5spd).

Only downside is I get about 6.75mpg when I drive like that.. :D

Engine is somewhere over 9:1, since I stroked it .035, then 0-decked it. Good news is, with 12BTDC static timing (haven't checked total), it runs 85 octane and only pinged once - a freak situation outside of Grand Junction last year. It never pinged climbing various passes in Colorado at 90+F ambient, 230+F engine, 85 octane, foot to the floor, 0" of vacuum. NEVER pinged. On 85.

Haven't really had any cooling problems with the Taurus fan this time, either. Might be a few more miles on it, or might be that I'm running more timing (12) than I did the first time (5).

I think it runs VERY well. So does my buddy that rode with me to a race in Billings in September.. and kept comparing my T'ette to his built 460 Ford.. and noting how he always had to downshift going up those hills. :D

Now if I can just get my other friend to set up my D60 R&P and start on the 4x4 and straighter front clip project..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
1974 200 Travelette LB - built 406/T-35/4.30 RA15
1977 SII - built "350" 345/wideT19/4.09s/36s (soon to be locked front n' rear, since the rear 4.09 gears are junk..)
1977 SII - Comer built 304C/Comer 727/4.88 D44s