[ihc] What's The Key To My Ignition Woes?

Hi All,

A while back, I had a Gold Box failure.  With my Scout parked "illegally" on
the side of a back road, I didn't have a lot of time, opportunity/daylight
to experiment with this, so I replaced it with a NAPA part, >$100. Someone
suggested using a GM HEI ign module (inexpensive, $15 comes to mind!) to
replace it.  Here's an article about it. Check this out:

http://www.ipns.com/rlewis/hei.htm

The reason I ask: I have an intermittant ignition prob - it seems as if
every bump or hard turn I make causes a momentary cut-off of "fire" -- just
as if I turned the key off. It'll come back on just as quickly -
occasionally causing a backfire.

IIRC, I tried the above as a "field fix" when the GB shelled out, but never
got any "fire" - just crank, so trotted to NAPA and got a replacement GB.
But I might've had an open circuit  or something - I was always suspect of
my grounding of the module to firewall, etc. In reality, it might actually
work. Dunno if anyone can vouch for this. Can't remember who it was that
turned me on to this. It seems to me that whoever it was hadn't actually
done this themselves, etc. I could be mistaken.

Is this THEE recommended GB replacement or are there are (cheap!) options?

Comments?

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||  Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |  '77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\] More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\] http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\] http://www.pferris.com/scout