Re: [ihc] What's The Key To My Ignition Woes?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Peter F. Ferris wrote:

Hi All,

A while back, I had a Gold Box failure.  With my Scout parked "illegally" on
the side of a back road, I didn't have a lot of time, opportunity/daylight
to experiment with this, so I replaced it with a NAPA part, >$100. Someone
suggested using a GM HEI ign module (inexpensive, $15 comes to mind!) to
replace it.  Here's an article about it. Check this out:

http://www.ipns.com/rlewis/hei.htm

The reason I ask: I have an intermittant ignition prob - it seems as if
every bump or hard turn I make causes a momentary cut-off of "fire" -- just
as if I turned the key off. It'll come back on just as quickly -
occasionally causing a backfire.

Bulkhead connector.

Disassemble, clean, and re-install your bulkhead connector.

If the 10 gauge connections (from alternator to ammeter to battery) show signs of corrosion or heating, remove them from the bulkhead connector and run as separate circuit (you can retain the factory connections). If you don't do this, they'll continue to heat up and cause further problems.

If the bulkhead fasteners are weak, drill holes, 3:00 & 9:00 on either side, and run a zip tie to secure the bulkhead connection.

Did this on my 74 Scout & it still has no further bulkhead issues.

HTH

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided