RE: [ihc] Pri-G: the debate begins

## >> Step 1. Start the vehicle on fresh gas, then switch to the
## >> treated stuff.

that's easy enough to try.  my concern at the moment is that the Pri-G FAQ
says that the stuff has to be "blended thoroughly" with the fuel you're
trying to treat.  those are 75-gallon saddle tanks, or more accurately a
single tank across the frame with two saddles that overhang on each side..
they have cages inside under the fill holes, too.  how are we supposed to
"blend thoroughly" when the fuel is in the tanks and we've no practical way
to get it out or anywhere to store it once it's out of the tanks?  not to
mention the prospect of trying to get it back into the tanks once it's out.
what a headache.

Ryan already has to dump fresh gas down the carb just to get it to start.
once it's started it will run on what's in the tanks, and he says it idles
pretty smoothly on the old fuel.  it just won't start on that stuff.  and he
says that when it's running on the old gas, even in first gear (it's a T35
with 7:1 first) and the axle in what appears to be high gear (5.7:1), it
hasn't got enough power with the engine running against the governor to pull
itself forward without dying.  unless he gives it a LOT of choke.

## >> One problem at a time. If the vehicle won't run on the
## >> treated gas, but it
## >> will on fresh gas, well, winter is on the way, and somebody
## >> will be able to
## >> use the gas for some sort of out door heating or something.
## >> Use it to thin
## >> out 1500 gallons of heating oil,

that's a good suggestion, unfortunately i don't know who to give this old
gas to if it doesn't work.  is there a way to go about finding people who
can use it and who might be willing to come get it?  i'd like for somebody
to be able to use it.  nobody in the area where we are now (here in Texas)
uses fuel oil that i know about, and i wouldn't be allowed to bring a
hazardous chemical like that onto the post without the proper permits
anyway.  maybe somebody where Ryan's folks are might be able to use it.
would be nice to be able to have somebody make use of that old fuel rather
than...  than what?  i don't even know what to do with it if nobody can use
it.  a recycler somewhere?

## >> or make the worlds largest
## >> tennis ball
## >> launcher out of 6 foot sewer pipe and laundry stolen from
## >> somebody's clothes
## >> line.

i don't want to imagine how the Army would react to me doing something like
this around here.  probably would be an entertaining proposition for Ryan's
brother and maybe the brother's friends, perhaps.  i think they MPs and
garrison troops would crap their pants if i brought in three 55-gallon drums
of old fuel when i bring the truck home (unless somebody along the route
home wanted it?).  interestingly enough, i discovered a couple days ago that
fifth-wheel tractors, when bobtailing, even if they have post decals, still
have to go through the tactical vehicle gate to get onto the post.  so
unless i take the fifth wheel off and put some kind of bed on the truck,
they're going to make me use the Tactical gate to get on and off post.
<sigh>

## >> It will take the whole 150 gallons to get the truck to your
## >> place, and a lot
## >> more besides.

it's 1400 miles from here to where it's stored.  theoretically speaking, if
the truck gets 10 miles to the gallon, and the fuel in the tanks can be
restored, it could get here on what's in the two big tanks, with 10 gallons
left over plus 21 gallons in the third tank, roughly, assuming the 3rd tank
is made useable before bringing it home.  if it gets 8mpg (this is what i
expect), then call it 175 gallons for the trip, which is only 4 gallons more
than the maximum capacity of the three tanks combined.  sure i'll have to
stop for fuel... once, about 3/4 of the way home or so, i'd say.  if it gets
6 miles to a gallon or less, then it's really going to hurt, but that's the
price i'll have to pay to get the truck home.

what's really going to take a bite out is if i have to replace *all* the
fuel in the tanks at the beginning of the trip, and then it proceeds to get
less than 6mpg the whole trip.  at current fuel prices, that's around $450
to $500 in fuel just to bring the truck here.  of course, i spent that much
in fuel when i brought the TravelAll out here 2 years ago from CA, towing
the 800A, 1300 miles total travel including the side trip up to Prescott
Valley and back down, when fuel was much less expensive than it is now.  i
guess i should be accustomed to these kinds of fuel expenditures by now, eh?

## >> I will be interested in seeing how this works. I have to
## >> drain a couple of
## >> tanks myself.

honestly, i'm quite interested in finding out what this stuff does.  if it
works on the B182, then i can get another bottle of that stuff for *here*,
and put some in the tanks of the 1110 and the 800A, since both of those do a
lot of sitting nowadays.  and with the prospect that both trucks may be
going into storage for anywhere from 6 to 18 months (or perhaps longer) next
spring, it would be good to know if this stuff works as advertised or not.

## >> Somebody just gave me a BC162 shorty that needs the tanks
## >> drained. It also
## >> needs a BD or BG series engine dropped into it. I think I
## >> know where to find
## >> one for 400 bucks that has a 68 travelall attached to it....
## >> more gas to get
## >> rid of...

i think it's great that you got a BC162.  those are neat trucks, especially
the short ones.  that's one of the bigger attractions for me with the B182
over the B184 that Joel still has, the shorter wheelbase (129").  and the
AC/BC series are the only trucks i'd be willing to concede are uglier than a
regular B series.  <Grin>  but the regular B is just so homely...  it's like
there's a morbid attraction to them or something.  the B will always be my
favourite truck of all time.

is that '68 you mentioned the one that rolled over onto its top in the rain?
the one Ken D. mentioned?

usual nickel/grain of salt.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.