Reply: [ihc] Pri-G: the debate begins

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Mac McMuffin wrote:

## >> Step 1. Start the vehicle on fresh gas, then switch to the
## >> treated stuff.

that's easy enough to try.  my concern at the moment is that the Pri-G FAQ
says that the stuff has to be "blended thoroughly" with the fuel you're
trying to treat.  those are 75-gallon saddle tanks, or more accurately a
single tank across the frame with two saddles that overhang on each side..
they have cages inside under the fill holes, too.  how are we supposed to
"blend thoroughly" when the fuel is in the tanks and we've no practical way
to get it out or anywhere to store it once it's out of the tanks?  not to
mention the prospect of trying to get it back into the tanks once it's out.
what a headache.

If each saddle has its own fill cap, and there is means of draining some fuel (say 5 gals) out of each saddle, do so and mix the treatment with each 5 gals and pour back in each saddle.

If you use this method, I'd mix the treatment with approx 2 gals, swirl the can to mix, then continue draining the remaining 3 gals.

Then pour the mixture into each saddle.

-- OR --

You can start by utilizing Brownian movement. If each saddle has its own fill cap, pour 1/2 treatment into each saddle.

Ryan already has to dump fresh gas down the carb just to get it to start.
once it's started it will run on what's in the tanks, and he says it idles
pretty smoothly on the old fuel.  it just won't start on that stuff.  and he
says that when it's running on the old gas, even in first gear (it's a T35
with 7:1 first) and the axle in what appears to be high gear (5.7:1), it
hasn't got enough power with the engine running against the governor to pull
itself forward without dying.  unless he gives it a LOT of choke.
Start the truck, get it rolling (use of choke, etc), and the movement of the fuel in each tank will assist in mixing the treatment with the stale fuel.

Be careful = even stale gas has more explosive potential than you'd want to witness.

Hope this helps.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided