Re: [ihc] NTSB: black boxes in private vehicles

----- Original Message -----
From: "allanw" <weidenhe@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 22:53
Subject: [ihc] NTSB: black boxes in private vehicles

> Just because the NTSB wants it, I don't believe that makes
> it law.  However, the article indicates all 2004 GM and
> 15% of Fords already have them.  No mention of what it
> does to the price of a car/truck, but I know it doesn't
> make it cheaper.
>
> Frankly, I won't buy a vehicle that has one of these boxes.
> I don't think they are even required on private airplanes.
> Ryan, is that true?  I can see some justification on
> commercial transportation, but that's it.
>
> Allan W.

No "black box" (they are actually orange) usually on GA aircraft unless it's
something that normally has one, such as a 737 ;)

Originallly, only part 121 operations (basically the big airlines with the
larger jets) had to have black boxes.   They've ammended that now so it's by
aircraft size, basically the larger corporate aircraft have them now, but
the little cessnas etc (anything under 20 seats, not counting the pilots,
basically) don't have them.  There are reasons for some aircraft smaller
than that number of seats to have them, (other criteria).  But for the most
part, the average aircraft does not, even if brand new.  Just the airliners
and a lot of the commuter planes.

The NTSB is not an operating agency, so it has absolutely no regulatory
power, only the ability to make reccomendations.  For highway and road
transportation you have the FHWA, FMCSA, FTA, and the NHTSA .  Of those, the
FMCSA and FTA do not affect private vehicles and rules.  I believe it would
be the NHTSA that would be responsible for such regulations.   That still
leaves the NTSB out of the loop, like they are in any other fashion and with
every other form of transportation.  They're charged with investigating
major accidents and issuing reccomendations of what to do to prevent
reccurances, if possible.

Thanks,
Ryan

---