FW: [ihc] More On (Moron) Pete's Choking & Hi Carb Diet

Pete:

1) Pull the carb noting how the throttle and choke linkages connect so you
can reconnect later.  The four bolts to the intake manifold w/gasket
underneath are pretty straight forward.

2) Disassemble the carb according to directions BEFORE anything in carb
cleaner.  That stuff will eat anything non metallic and even certain alloys.
And carbs are full of alloys, containing few, if any ferrus metal parts.
Only metallic parts go in the dip. Not the bushings, needle tips, etc. that
might be attached.

3) The instructions on the cleaner container will tell you how long to soak.
Overnight is not too long, but the amount of varnish/sludge buildup should
be your guide.  Some pieces like the throttle plates would probably be clean
in an hour or two.

4) DO NOT make skin contact with this stuff.  I once fished a bolt out of a
gallon of it with my bare hands real quick and rinsed right away in running
water.  An hour later the outer layer of skin on that hand wrinkled all up
fell off in dry strips.  AND, I've been a mental case ever since. ;-) So
coble yourself a "parts basket" to submerge the parts in the can and
retrieve the with out of metal screen or mesh or use a wire to dip
everything.  AND, you watch your "volume spacing" into the can.  If the top
of the throttle body is sticking up out of the fluid in the can, it's not
going to get clean, unless you invert after a period of time.

5) Pictures and notes are good, although there isn't that much that can be
fubared in this process on a 2210.  I think making some notes next to the
assembly diagrams in the instructions provided with the kit should suffice.

Tom H., '76 Traveler