Re: [ihc] Re: Travelall and 30-06

On Sep 29, 2004, at 6:52 AM, ken.dunnington wrote:

A bit of Devil's Advocate...
Me too, in this case.
I suppose I agree too.  I don't know too much about the subject but
I'd guess that the likely ancestor of the Travelall is the Dodge
Carryall.
Didn't the Suburban appear in the 30's? I remember the Travelall ads touting the tow rating as compared to the burbs of that time. Maybe the Travelall has mixed parentage.

Likewise the 30-06 is a derivative of the Mauser 7.92x57.
Although, I think the Spanish in 1898 were using 7X57 cartridges in their Mausers and these were demonstrably better than our Krags and older rifles. So, like the Carryall/Suburban roots of the Travelall, the Springfield and its cartridge might have had mixed parentage?

So they are both not the first of their type but have become more
significant than their predecessor, atleast in the US?

Ken
03FFL

BTW, I just had some fun on Sunday shooting my Hakim, which is
chambered in...7.92x57JS.  What a fine shooting rifle, just don't get
your thumb in the wrong place during assembly/disassembly.  If you
think M1 thumb hurts, a Hakim will seem to take it off.
Ooh, my goodness, just the thought of it makes my once battered M1 thumb throb.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs