Re: [ihc] GVW's Seemingly no rhyme or reason

Rocky Lear wrote:
I have two 72 t-ettes. Both 1210 4x4's. One built late in 71 and the
other a few months later in june I think of 72. The later truck has a
6100 GVW while the other truck says 7500 on the door tag. The 6100
truck had a 392/auto and the 7500 had a 345/auto. I am trying to
understand why two identical trucks have a 1400lb. differential. Both
aree D44 fronts and D60 rears. The truck that has the lighter GVW has
6 leaves in the rear springs while the heavier one has 5(!) . What
was the max GVW on a 4x4 t-ette and can anyone explain this to me?
GVWR is dependent on brakes, OE equipped tires, wheel bearings, spring rates, and probably a few other things.

The simple explanation is that the '72 was ordered with heavier springs. The number of leaves doesn't equate to weight rating.

You can have Deaver or National build you a very soft and pliant 12-leaf spring pack that rides smoother than a stock 3-leaf pack.

-Tom