RE: [ihc] RE: Parking lots? Yeah, right...

Greg:

That city is Dallas, TX.  I've heard about their lack of zoning and
planning.  I've heard freedom lovers say that it shows that you don't need
it.  I've heard the control freaks say that some of the old houses that
still exist right next to newer skyscrapers, "prove" the need for zoning and
planning.  There is an excellent program on HGTV that comes up every once in
a while showing "homestead holdouts" who were not forced to sell their homes
when "progress" came right up next to them and they continue to live as they
always have, with commercial or urban development right next door.

And boy Greg, are you right about urban planners.  I'm a transit planner and
have to work with planning staff from four local cities and the county in
our service area.  They scare the HELL out of me with their utopian ideas
and their chicanary (things like "redevelopment") in attempting to steer
development projects to what they think is "best".  There is not doubt, at
least here on the left coast, that most of them would like to eliminate the
automobile and all tract homes.  They refer to this as "urban sprawl"
although I've met few who aren't participants in same.  Their "plans" call
for everyone to live in high rise buildings in major downtowns and work
there too.  Then, on the weekends, they can take public transit out to "the
country" which they think will then be pristine, to see nature.

I attend many local planning and design review meetings.  I find myself
saying under my breath very often, "If John Q. Public only KNEW what was
being discussed at these meetings".  Of course, even though these are public
meetings by law, only a few gadflys show up and they are as bad as the
planners themselves.  I end up feeling like a lone cowboy working in
government and expecting to operate it like and efficient business.  I've
made a few enemies too!  But every once in a while, I find a like minded
individual at some other governmental agency, usually someone with years of
private industry background like myself.  We have a good laugh together and
I realize I'm not completely alone.

Tom H., '76 Traveler

Thomas J. Harais, Director of Planning and Grants
ECCTA dba Tri Delta Transit
801 Wilbur Avenue
Antioch, CA  94509
Desk (925) 754-6622 X261