RE: [ihc] RE: Parking lots? Yeah, right...

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stephens [mailto:mrsquid_underway@domain.elided]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 8:05 AM

> Dallas is very zoned. But you're getting warm...

Hmmmm......... I was sure I had heard it was not.  I've been to Dallas a few
times in my life, but never really "been there".  Was always fly in, deal
with business, fly out.  Never and touring or spending time while I was
there.

Didn't Milton Freidman write on of his many works about how economic forces
(the "market") dictating where and what development in spite of zoning?
And, as part of the evidence for this was Dallas with no zoning vs other
major cities that had extensive planning and zoning.  And yet, over the long
run, development everwhere panned out as driving economic forces would have
predicted.

I know that historically, all major cities were built, unintentionally
perhaps, on rivers or bays due to their access to water transportation:
Rome, Athens, Paris, Berlin, New York, Detroit, etc.  Later, at least here
in the west, access to railroad was a driving force in the building of
cities.  And, according to Mr. Freidman's free market arguments, the
development within any urbanized area will occur based on economic need,
even when government tries to plan their way out of that.  There is a human
nature" reason that homes and businesses close to the railroad tracks
eventually become run down.  No one wants to live near the train tracks and
modern transportation options no longer require such a proximate location.

I'll bet all the IHC factories were built with railroad access in mind!

Tom H., '76 Traveler