Re: Reply: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

At 12:08 PM 9/13/04, Ted Borck wrote:

>I realize that you were funning - but you're welcome to come down and
>visit where Ivan makes landfall.

I was funning, to a degree, but then again, not entirely. In southern
Wyoming, if you waited to drive for times when the sustained wind was NOT
30 mph, you simply wouldn't ever get anything done !!!

Last time I looked, somebody said the pressure at Ivan's eye was 885 mb.
---putting this into non-French units makes it 12.57 psi atmospheric
pressure--at SEA level !!! That's a bit lower than the normal ambient
atmospheric pressure in mile high Denver !!! That's a LOT of centrifugal
force and updraft in the eye wall to make that happen !!

Was not suggesting trying to drive through the eye wall, just that not
driving in 30 mph sustained winds is a bit on the conservative side---

While you can design things (buildings) to resist the wind force, along the
coast --the storm surge, and further inland--the flooding, are rather more
problematic.

Greg