Re: Reply: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:38:34 -0600
bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann) wrote:
> At 12:08 PM 9/13/04, Ted Borck wrote:
> >
> >I realize that you were funning - but you're welcome to come down
> and
> >visit where Ivan makes landfall.
> >
> I was funning, to a degree, but then again, not entirely. In southern
> Wyoming, if you waited to drive for times when the sustained wind was
> NOT
> 30 mph, you simply wouldn't ever get anything done !!!

Very true...  but it's a dry wind;-)
I drove into 90 mph gusts with sustained 50+ (recorded) a few years
ago. In a SS II with the top up and doors on, it was deafining but I
was able to drive 25-45 depending on gusts and aspect. Only did it
because we had to evacuate people in front of a wild fire. The top
(Kayline) held together but my ears were ringing for a few hours.

> Was not suggesting trying to drive through the eye wall, just that
> not
> driving in 30 mph sustained winds is a bit on the conservative
> side---

30 is where kite flying gets very interesting.

> While you can design things (buildings) to resist the wind force,
> along the
> coast --the storm surge, and further inland--the flooding, are rather
> more
> problematic.
>
> Greg

Glad I don't have to deal with the mud, flooding, and other things
associated with tropical storms, here you just spit the dust out and
keep on truckin.

Best of luck to all in front of Ivan, be safe.

Willy
SS II
Wyoming