Re: Reply: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Greg Hermann wrote:

<snip>

I drove a Traveller with no lift and 31's and a 17 foot trailer behind with
a lot of boxy 'stuff' on it through about 50--60 mph quartering headwinds,
westbound on I-80 from Creston Junction to Green River (WY) a few years
ago. Not really any trouble, except that it simply wouldn't go above about
60 or 65 mph and the fuel mileage SUCKED !!!

These folks from Dixie REALLY ought to spend some time in weird, winderful
Wyoming if they wanna learn what wind is all about----

Know a guy who had a gust rip the awning off of his motorhome--and put it
up on two wheels--while underway southbound from Creston to Baggs (which,
BTW, was Etta Place's --as in Sundance's girlfriend--hometown).

Greg:

I realize that you were funning - but you're welcome to come down and visit where Ivan makes landfall.

If you monitor the following URL, you'll know where to wait arrival.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/130858W5.gif

If you choose a coastal shore within the NE quadrant of Ivan close to the eye wall, You can expect a 10 - 20 ft. storm surge, and sustained winds of 30 mph increasing to 100+ mph then diminishing to 30 for (lets see movement is presently 9 mph with an approx diameter of 300 miles) 33 hours.

Below are Ivan's current conditions presently given by the nhc:

(the caps are nhc formating)

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 915 MB
EYE DIAMETER 30 NM
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 140 KT WITH GUSTS TO 170 KT.
64 KT....... 90NE 75SE 40SW 50NW.
50 KT.......125NE 90SE 60SW 75NW.
34 KT.......180NE 150SE 125SW 125NW.
12 FT SEAS..300NE 240SE 240SW 300NW.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL
MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided