RE: [ihc] Coded Paint

Corporation"
>(paint company), labeled "1964-1969 International Truck Colors". There are
>26 colors on it, one of which matches my '67 T'All lineset code of 1503
>("Malibu Beige"). It also has the 6701 ("Bahama Blue") from my '67 800
>lineset. But I don't see either 6020, or 6275 on this sheet.

I believe RM was one of IH's OEM suppliers. Code 6275 is a pre-'64 color
that was special ordered on our '64 Travelall, evidenced by the 'special
paint 6275' callout on the lineset and '6275' crayon mark on the underside
of the hood.

>So now I'm wondering... what other paint companies would have chips for IH?

Pretty much every major paint supplier published chip charts crossing their
paint codes to the IH codes. Ditzler(now PPG)seems to be the most common.

> How many other colors were used in the 60s?

Hundreds, maybe thousands. I have several listings of available colors from
the period, published by IHC in the form of special paint ordering
instructions. There are several paint manufacturers listed, and a *bunch* of
colors. The bottom line seems to be that if you could identify a color you
wanted, and were willing to pay for the change order, IH would make it
happen. Not seeing a paint code 6020 in the years for which I checked chip
charts, I'm guessing Kurt's color is custom. IH started phasing out true
solid colors pretty aggressively in favor of polychromatics starting in '64.
Marketing-wise, this may have been a combination of new color availability
and the fact that they already had a several year old body style which
needed 'freshening'. Imagine how the marketing folks felt in '68 !

>Where would one find the formulas and/or samples?

For the 'standard' colors, www.autocolorlibrary.com

For formulas, I know that PPG dealers have access to a 'color library' that
can reliably return a formula for pretty much any  IH paint code. Not sure
if other paint suppliers can do the same.

>Where would they go with their codes to view an original paint
>sample? Jim, where do you find your 6275? Is that from a lineset also, or
do
>you have a paint chip?

See above, see above, yes and yes :)

Jim