RE: [ihc] Coded Paint

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim Grammer [mailto:jgrammer@domain.elided]
> Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 10:11 AM
> To: jma@domain.elided; Kurt Musgrave; PorscheRcr@domain.elided
> Cc: IH Digest
> Subject: RE: [ihc] Coded Paint
>

> For the 'standard' colors, www.autocolorlibrary.com

Thanks, Jim. Good info, and really cool site. Now I know, among other
things, that the "sick" green on my new '79 is really "mint green". I had
been wondering.

Years ago, I ran across a factoid regarding the number of color names that
were registered as unique in some industrial database. I forget the
specifics, but the number was *huge*, and they were all recorded, sorted,
coded, and catalogued along with their individual mixing formulas.

(I remember I had to wonder about the people who sat around thinking up
names like "whisper" and "gravity" and "zephyr" for colors. As the numbers
increased, desperation must have set in...)

Anyway, given the astronomical number of variations, and given IH's
propensity to welcome requests for customization, I shouldn't be surprised
that I won't find, for example, a list of "The 25 paint colors used in
1967". There were bound to be hundreds, if not (like you said) thousands
over the years.

Still, it's nice to have the charts for the *standard* colors so readily
available.

Thanks again,

John A.