[ihc] A hot time in SLO time tonight

Digesters -

Please go to your kitchen right now and eyeball the physical presence and charge state of the fire extinguisher. Really.

OK, now that you're back...

We have *always* kept an extinguisher under the sink. always, always, always. At least 17 years of always.

This evening the toaster oven went up in flames. Jan's first reaction was to look under the sink. Her second reaction was to yell out to me(in the pasture building fence) 'Fire!'.

My first reaction was to sprint to the house(I have *no* recollection of how I cleared a 5' fence) and look under the sink. My second reaction was a 50 meter dash to the shop for the 5lb-er, aborted after 10 yards when I realized there was a unit in the Traveler(IH content) I was passing.

So, in approx. 30 seconds I was able to bring an extinguisher to bear. Not good enough. That should have been 5-10 seconds tops. We're damn lucky that modern latex paint is pretty darn flame resistant(upper cabinets). As it is, no real harm done, lesson learned, new extinguisher inside the cabinet door that everyone knows about. The Traveler gets a fresh unit before I drive it again, and the topless SII needs one as well.

We still have no idea *what* happened to the extinguisher under the sink, but you can bet that won't happen again!

Jim