Re: [ihc] A hot time in SLO time tonight

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, J Grammer wrote:

Digesters -

Please go to your kitchen right now and eyeball the physical presence and charge state of the fire extinguisher. Really.

OK, now that you're back...

We have *always* kept an extinguisher under the sink. always, always, always. At least 17 years of always.

This evening the toaster oven went up in flames. Jan's first reaction was to look under the sink. Her second reaction was to yell out to me(in the pasture building fence) 'Fire!'.

<snip>

So, in approx. 30 seconds I was able to bring an extinguisher to bear. Not good enough. That should have been 5-10 seconds tops.
<snip>

We still have no idea *what* happened to the extinguisher under the sink, but you can bet that won't happen again!
Time for me to check the condition of our Fire Extinguishers.

Here in the semi-tropical paradise of Miami, FL, we get a lot of power outages; due to the numerous 40 ft palm trees dropping fronds on power lines. Why do people plant them that close to power lines? - Cause they look good - especially when there is no electricity.

IAE, we keep a flashlight in a certain place on a bookcase in the center of the house. When the lights go out - it's handy to know *exactly* where to go to and reach an emergency source of light.

House guests are advised of the reason and location of the flashlight.

IHC content, latest Scout is almost ready for painting.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided