Re: [ihc] RE: David's decarbonisation

Jim Grammer wrote:

JG> Back in the day, a tune up at a good shop included pouring a can of
JG> 'combustion chamber cleaner' down the carb as quickly as possible without
JG> killing the engine. Said cleaner was a witches brew of aromatic solvents,
JG> and produced great gouts of satisfying white smoke out the tailpipe. Very
JG> impressive :)

JG> I use mineral spirits in place of ATF or SeaFoam. Fill a mustard bottle(with
JG> the dispenser nozzle) and trickle it in as rapidly as you can.

OK, so I'm a little slow on the take here...

The carbon could be the source of the "diesel" rattle David reports.
Is the rattling noise the reason for the combustion chamber cleaning
or was it something else?

In my "piston slap" post I mentioned a manufacturer that had some
engines produced with piston slap resulting in a knocking sound.
In my readings concerning folks' experiences with a rattling noise
inherent to their relatively new engine(less than 10K miles) I did
read of owners of the same model engine, without piston slap, but with
50K-75K miles on the odometer, experiencing similar noises.  More than
once I read of excessive combustion chamber deposits being blamed as
the cause of the noise.  IE, cleaning of the combustion chamber
resolved the noise issue.  I do not recall whether the cleaning was
achieved by pouring solvents into the intake of a running engine or by
disassembly, but obviously, pouring some mineral spirits down the
throat of the carb is a quite cheaper/easier possible solution.

Unfortunately for the low mile "rattlers" the fix is not nearly so
easy on the wallet.

Are there possible detrimental outcomes to the solvent down the carb
"trick"?

Ken