Re: [ihc] RE: T-casing the joint

At 9:38 AM 8/9/04, Jim Grammer wrote:
>Brodsky:>I thought I remember the way to tell a 205 from the others is the
>3-bolt
>>cover on the intermediate shaft between the large round cover and the
>output shaft?  So the earlier trucks
>>that had a great big transfercase, are those just as good or what?
>
>In addition to Greg's tips, the shift rods on a 201/202 are vertical.
>Physically the same size as the 205. A 'great big' t-case would prolly be a
>Timken. Fitment issues aside, I'd consider one an upgrade since they were
>used in medium duties.
>
>Jim

Is what you are calling a 'Timken' same as the (later) Rockwell ?? Having
dis-assembled a couple of the Rockwells, they have a SERIOUS internal
design problem. Involves fretting of a gear on a splined shaft, NEVER
should have been built that way---

I would expect Timken, but not necessarily Rockwell, to have known better !!

Greg