Re: [ihc] VW and cherman engineering....

Dunno, but if you could have ridden with me on the course we were
putting the thing through (loaded!) you might be thinking now that 'size
isn't everything' <chuckle>.  I'm not an old hand by any means, but the
course we ran the thing through was the meanest I've seen for anything
less than a full size tractor or construction truck, and it survived
nicely.  Beleive me, there were PLENTY of opportunties for a substandard
rear axle to go away. I'm not saying it 'won't' at some point, but I do
think it may be a little stouter than you give it credit for. I think
one point in it's favor is the automatic; it takes some getting used to
because it's not like our old Torqueflites that hook up right away. It
seems to be set up to work with the diesel, and has a pretty 'soft'
engagement (like a high stall convertor) so it can launch as the turbo
spools up. I would assume it provides less shock loads to the rear axle
as a result since the engagement is more gradual, or at least it feels
that way to me.
Dennis