Re: [ihc] VW and cherman engineering....

At 10:53 AM 8/8/04, Dennis Bernth wrote:
>Dunno, but if you could have ridden with me on the course we were
>putting the thing through (loaded!) you might be thinking now that 'size
>isn't everything' <chuckle>.  I'm not an old hand by any means, but the
>course we ran the thing through was the meanest I've seen for anything
>less than a full size tractor or construction truck, and it survived
>nicely.  Beleive me, there were PLENTY of opportunties for a substandard
>rear axle to go away. I'm not saying it 'won't' at some point, but I do
>think it may be a little stouter than you give it credit for. I think
>one point in it's favor is the automatic; it takes some getting used to
>because it's not like our old Torqueflites that hook up right away. It
>seems to be set up to work with the diesel, and has a pretty 'soft'
>engagement (like a high stall convertor) so it can launch as the turbo
>spools up. I would assume it provides less shock loads to the rear axle
>as a result since the engagement is more gradual, or at least it feels
>that way to me.
>Dennis

My observation was that, not only does it appear to have much too small a
ring gear, it has semi-floating axles. IMO, not using full floating axles
on a supposedly commercial duty truck is flat-out irresponsible, not to
mention incompetent engineering !!

Greg