Re: [ihc] Scout gas tank in pickups

Ed Sohm wrote:

(I think it is a venting issue) and I would remove it if I could get 33
gallons worth of weight over the rear axle.  That would allow me to
still use the factory tank switch and save me from having to drag a fuel
The more I get thinking about it, a new 33 gallon tank costs about the
same as a farmer/construction style bed tank that will hold considerably
more than 33 gallons and wouldn't cause me to have to re-do my hitch.
'course  the farmer tank wouldn't have a fuel gauge and would take up
I had a chance to buy a 48gal bed toolbox/gastank for $250 just before I left for RMIHR.

I really REALLY didn't want to lose the bed space. I *like* having a fullsize truck.

As we travel around, Michelle will often hear me make derisive comments about other vehicles - often "He shoulda bought more truck!" comes out of my mouth.

Said that when we saw a 4dr shortbox truck with the tailgate down and lumber still hanging out the back.. or the jacked up late model Chevy pulling a trailer loaded with wood.. and such a disastrous amount of tongue-weight that the jacked up truck's rear (only) bumper was lower than a stocker's, and the truck "porpoised" across an intersection from severe wheel hop.

I was willing to forgoe my 8' bed capacity for another 40-50 gallons of fuel for the trip.. except the tank was set up just for pumping fuel into an existing fuel tank, not a "hard plumbed" setup.. and while I could've made it work, I didn't have time to be fabbing anything before leaving.

I'm glad I didn't. I'd much rather lose my spare tire space that I'm not using, than to lose 2' of bed space.

Used SII 33g tanks sell for $250 and down.

As I mentioned earlier, I think I may see about a 31gallon Bronco fuel tank instead. They're cheap and plentiful, and I have friends throwing them out all of the time.