From: Tom Mandera [mailto:tsm1@domain.elided]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 10:51 AM
To: Ed Sohm
Cc: 'allanw'; ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] Scout gas tank in pickups

Ed Sohm wrote:

> (I think it is a venting issue) and I would remove it if I could get
33
> gallons worth of weight over the rear axle.  That would allow me to
> still use the factory tank switch and save me from having to drag a
fuel
> The more I get thinking about it, a new 33 gallon tank costs about the
> same as a farmer/construction style bed tank that will hold
considerably
> more than 33 gallons and wouldn't cause me to have to re-do my hitch.
> 'course  the farmer tank wouldn't have a fuel gauge and would take up

I had a chance to buy a 48gal bed toolbox/gastank for $250 just before I

left for RMIHR.

I really REALLY didn't want to lose the bed space.  I *like* having a
fullsize truck.

As we travel around, Michelle will often hear me make derisive comments
about other vehicles - often "He shoulda bought more truck!" comes out
of my mouth.

Said that when we saw a 4dr shortbox truck with the tailgate down and
lumber still hanging out the back.. or the jacked up late model Chevy
pulling a trailer loaded with wood.. and such a disastrous amount of
tongue-weight that the jacked up truck's rear (only) bumper was lower
than a stocker's, and the truck "porpoised" across an intersection from
severe wheel hop.

I was willing to forgoe my 8' bed capacity for another 40-50 gallons of
fuel for the trip.. except the tank was set up just for pumping fuel
into an existing fuel tank, not a "hard plumbed" setup.. and while I
could've made it work, I didn't have time to be fabbing anything before
leaving.

I'm glad I didn't.  I'd much rather lose my spare tire space that I'm
not using, than to lose 2' of bed space.

Used SII 33g tanks sell for $250 and down.

As I mentioned earlier, I think I may see about a 31gallon Bronco fuel
tank instead.  They're cheap and plentiful, and I have friends throwing
them out all of the time.