[ihc] (TIP) Anyone's tail/lift gate latches squeak

Mine did!!! I've tried everything lithium grease, synthetic grease, surgical
rubber hose over the latch striker. I've also tried Tri flow with Teflon,
silicone, and some special stuff for car doors. Some things worked for a
while but never very long. I think I"vet finally found a long term solution.
Today I went to the hardware store and got a splice kit for a submersible
well pump for $4.25. The kit includes 3 pieces of very heavy duty glue lined
heat shrink tube.

First I cleaned the latch forks (on the tail and lift gates) and then placed
a short piece of the heat shrink the side of the fork that does the holding
closed and shrunk it down until the glue oozed out. The latches now shut a
little tighter and on the first test up and down our road, there were no
squeaks or rattles at all. Only one piece of tube did all 4 latches so it
only cost about a buck. I'll report back with results in about a month or
so.

Also the copper header gaskets are working out very well. I did some hard
towing with them and they just seem to seal better and better with time and
usage.

Tom Reed