Re: [ihc] Re: Rhino revisited

David Bongo wrote:

As an aside, anybody have any suggestions on something to cover the firewall with inside the engine compartment? Right now Dynamat Xtreme would work, but if anybody has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. (I get a tremendous amount of heat off the firewall in the Scout II, so I'm going to want to treat both vehicles.)
My floor and partial firewall in my '74 200 Travelette is covered with "Reflectix" at the moment. Currently, it's just a "windshield sunscreen" (or three) adapted to the task, but Reflectix is sold by the roll at the hardware store should I ever get around to a more permanent solution.

Best description of the stuff is "aluminum foil backed bubble wrap"

I didn't install it for noise suppression, and my truck still isn't quiet enough to really speak to that, but it does cut the radiated heat dramatically.

Essentially, to Zero.

Simple test was made with my IR thermometer.

Floor temp where the Reflectix was? ~100degF (same as ambient air temp that day).

Floor temp just behind the Reflectix (on the hump in the center, just behind both front buckets)? 140degF.

Temp at the mid/top of the firewall? 140degF.

Temp just a bit down where the Reflectix was? 100F.

Investment? $25 or so between the now three sunscreens I installed.

Speaking from experience, the difference between a 140deg floor and firewall and a 100degF floor and firewall is HUGE. HUGE!!

140degF and I'm melting in my seat, exhausted immediately, and overall just miserable - even with 5 windows open and plenty of air flow.

100degF? Well that's downright comfortable by comparison.

My long-term solution for my truck may be something like ZeroRust on the floor, some spray-on sound dampening "paint" (can't remember the name now), some Reflectix to cut the heat, then a NOS floor mat for wall-to-wall rubber matting.

Might wind up with some carpet on top of that or in place of it, might not.

This will all coincide with getting the factory A/C operational again, too, of course!

70F would be even better than the 100F..