[ihc] Diesel Accelerator Cable/Throttle Cable

I need to find out a little bit more about the the throttle linkage system on an SD33 in a Scout.  This is the one that is a '67 body set on a '77 frame and diesel running gear.  I am not sure if the throttle linkage/cable was altered because of this conficguration.

Mine has a cable attached to the pedal linkage, which then runs up to the front of the engine compartment, then circles back to the throttle controls on the engine.

Or, I should say, it DID have, as I snipped the cable because it was so worn and frayed that I thought it was some jimmy-rigged wire holding something in place, and it was in my way when I was trouble-shooting something else.  It looked nothing at all like a cable at that point, and it is probably best that I did cut it then, because had I never found out about it that way, I would not have suspected it, and likely would have been driving down a road in the middle of nowhere when it snapped and I would have had no acceleration left!

Anyway, how is it SUPPOSED to be attached?  Is there a cable set-up, or a more solid connection to the linkage supposed to be there?

And if it is a cable, is it supposed to run such a tortuous route to get to its destination?

Thanks!

Michael