Re: [ihc] Oh Oh

On Jul 23, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Roger L. Waggener Sr. wrote:

While doing a rear brake job on our 79 Scout I noticed that the driver's side axle has between 1/16 and 1/8 inch end play. Other side none and no vertical play at all on either side. Differentials are NOT my thing. Do I have a likely problem on the horizon? Also I might add - AutoZone messed up a drum that was almost on the limit anyway - they cut a 3/8 wide groove about .015 deep- how hard are drums to come by. I used it anyway but it's questionable.
Rodger,

In regard to your brake drum. When I left the riveted brake linings in my Travelall after the linings were gone, the rivets cut bands much like you describe. As soon as the new linings had worn it, I swear that the wear bands increased the braking capability. As they wore out, I'd put new brake shoes in and never even thought of having the wear bands cut out.

Those drums stayed that way for the rest of my ownership of the T'all, about a 150,000 miles worth. Only problem I had was trying to get the drums off with a tongue and groove effect inside the drum.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs