[ihc] Oh Oh

While doing a rear brake job on our 79 Scout I noticed that the driver's side axle has between 1/16 and 1/8 inch end play. Other side none and no vertical play at all on either side. Differentials are NOT my thing. Do I have a likely problem on the horizon? Also I might add - AutoZone messed up a drum that was almost on the limit anyway - they cut a 3/8 wide groove about .015 deep- how hard are drums to come by. I used it anyway but it's questionable.
It'll soon be time for rotors- they quoted me $50 and change. Is that good / bad or just ugly? Mine are warped and missing a stud on each. I haven't measured them ( major lack of a mic) but expect there're about to the limit also.
Thanks for all the responses about my ignition lock switch. I don't know about the AM locks but the 76 Vega measured right and works fine. Thanks Joel for the hint about the Harbor Freight tool but I DID IT with my thumbs using a nut pick - my thumbs don't work anymore but I GOT it. I won't do it again- for sure.

the Crusty Old Codger in the Desert
Roger L. Waggener Sr.
Mesa Town Center, Arizona