[ihc] Mark Hamilton on field leads

A very ill and overworked Mark Hamilton of MAD took the time to answer my questions by e-mail. Thanks to Joe Mathias for giving me access to Mark's e-mail. Mark doesn't have his e-mail address on his web site because he doesn't have the time to respond to people like me, but of course, he did respond to me.

Mark says that the resistance of the field wire is irrelevant to the output voltage of the Delco alternator. He says that it was a resistance wire in order to help protect some of the alternator regulator electronics. OK, I will no longer preach my false gospel, although I am still perplexed at what changed my output voltage. Maybe I've forgotten the sequence and changed my sense connection at the same time as I changed the field lead.

Mark says that their Alt. kit comes with a diode for the field lead replacement wire that he recommends using even if you have an idiot light wired in series because it helps protect high tech electronics such as an MSD 6 series ignition module.

Oh, Hell, I hate to be wrong. Please don't tell my wife, as she still thinks I'm perfect. She still tells anyone who asks that her being thrown out of the back of the Scout and nearly killed was totally her fault.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs