Re: [ihc] When you 'SHUT' things TOO hard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wynne John M NPRI" <WynneJM@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 08:16
Subject: [ihc] When you 'SHUT' things TOO hard

> I know, I just recycled a subject line.  After reading the previous
message about the hood latch, I recall a problem I ran into with my 76 Scout
Terra.  In my rush to wrap everything up and store all of the odds and ends
as I was getting mobilized with the Guard over a year ago, I put a little
too much umph while shutting the driver's door.  Out of the corner of my eye
I noticed that the door didn't quite line up with the skin of the rear
quarter.  In fact, it now sits about 1/2 inch too far into the door jam.
The door will not open by the outside handle or inside handle.  Yanking and
pulling only seems to rock the entire vehicle, and there is absolutely no
indication that the door will open or even move the smallest amount.  There
is a definite tension on the handle levers, so I know the linkage is still
intact.

My passenger door used to do exactly what you describe sometimes (I adjusted
it and pretty much fixed it).

You couldn't open it from outside with the handle or inside for that matter.
Well, sometimes you could open it from the outside, but a lot of times you
couldn't.  IIRC once you trigger the latch it'll come at least partway open
so I don't *think* I had to hold the inner door handle when I did this.
I'd lay across the front seats and firmly plant a foot (IE, kick really
hard) the door, right around where the lock rod comes out the top (just
below that).   Right there is close enough to the latch, but it's in a
strong enough area that I never dented or otherwise damaged the door from
doing it.   If you have an extra person around, they could hold the trigger
on the outer door handle while you do this.  It always worked for me,
although I think once it was bad enough I had to drive around some and try
again (the small amount of movement of the body seemed to help).

Good Luck.

-Ryan

---