Re: [ihc] Pre-oilers

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 17:47:40 -0500 Ryan Moore <baradium@domain.elided> wrote:
> > If you have access to a machine shop, just make an
> > aluminum block to go under the oil filter mount and
> > plumb the hoses in there.  Should work fine.  Now, is
> > there enough room, not sure about that.
> >

> Hoses?  Should just need one hose to the oil filter area... would need a
> check valve in the hose.

> > Seems to me that oil filters have check valves to
> > prevent drain-back.  Just keep the pressure low enough
> > to protect the oil filter.

> I'd like to send the oil through the filter.   Take the oil in from the pan
> and send it through the filter and on its way.  IIRC the pump should stop
> oil from backflowing through it.  Otherwise, could put in a check valve for
> that too...

racers do this sort of thing all the time.

accusumps (the usual pre-oiler used with wet sump engines)
are generally installed along with a remote oil cooler kit. the
aluminum adapter that fits between the block and the oil filter
is readily available from performance supply houses. in fact,
you can even do a remote filter setup with the parts available,
which if done properly resolves the space problems.

the accusump in a race car serves two functions -- one is to
pre-oil, and the other is to supply oil in long sweeping turns
when the oil in the sump slops away from the pickup.

richard