Re: [ihc] Dial Back Timing Light

Thanks a lot Ken. That was a perfect explanation, even I can use the blasted thing now.

Al

ken.dunnington wrote:

Al and Nona Evitts wrote:
AaNE> I just got one of these new fangled lights from a friend. Can anyone AaNE> tell me how to use it correctly?

AaNE> Thanks Al

Hello Al

Those are the ones to have. Put it on 0 and it's just like
a non-adjustable light. They are very handy though. I simply mark
the zero line on the balancer/pulley/whatever with a sliver sheetrock
core. Then set the dial on whatever advance you want to set the
timing at. Move the dist until it "appears" to be timed at 0. It
will actually be timed at whatever you have your light's advance dial
set to. On engines that have nice clear marks for advance I have
checked the light against the marks on the engine every once in
awhile and it's always been accurate.

Then, where the advance dial really comes in handy is testing your
curve. Increase the rpm in increments and move the dial to time the
engine side to 0, then read your dial, write it down. Go until full
advance. You've now got an accurate representation of the your
engine's advance curve. Very handy when messing around with total
and rate of advance or if improperly operating advance is a suspect
during diagnosis.

Ken

.