Re: [ihc] Pre-oilers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Stegmann" <steve.stegmann@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "ihc-digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 16:48
Subject: Re: [ihc] Pre-oilers

> Ryan,
>
> If you have access to a machine shop, just make an
> aluminum block to go under the oil filter mount and
> plumb the hoses in there.  Should work fine.  Now, is
> there enough room, not sure about that.

Hoses?  Should just need one hose to the oil filter area... would need a
check valve in the hose.

> Seems to me that oil filters have check valves to
> prevent drain-back.  Just keep the pressure low enough
> to protect the oil filter.

I'd like to send the oil through the filter.   Take the oil in from the pan
and send it through the filter and on its way.  IIRC the pump should stop
oil from backflowing through it.  Otherwise, could put in a check valve for
that too...

> Having said all that a pre-oiler does nothing for the
> cylinders as they're lubricated by oil slung off the
> crank journals.  The rocker arms won'd get any either.
>  But the mains, rod big-ends, and camshaft bearings
> and lifters would benefit.
>
> Steve

And the bearings are a big deal.

Cam bearings seem to be one of the weak links in an IH motor, could really
help with that and other bearing wear.

-Ryan

---