Re: [ihc] RE: "Weekend" Projects

Ryan Moore wrote:
stop it from spiraling in my mind.  It than gets too big for a weekend
project and I don't end up starting it.

Ed Sohm
You could always organize all the parts and have everything ready to go,
then it's a weekend project again!
Even when I seem to have everything ready to go, it's never ready to go.

And all of the parts and stuff I acquired over the previous couple of months for this job? Do you REALLY think I can still locate them?

Take the 392/5spd swap into my Travelette that I'm still slogging away on.

Last night I drained the <1000 mile oil from the engine, replaced the drain plug, and went to put the new oil filter on so I could refill and then prime the oiling system.

I knew I had a couple of oil filters on the shelf. I buy a handful at a time so I have them "in-stock" when I need 'em.

Well, I don't know what the oil filters I have on the shelf are for, but they're not for an IH.

Off to the parts store for 3 new Wix filters.

Back in the shop, I put the filter on, and start dumping oil in.. then notice the starter wire I wanted to replace. It had melted on the rear dump manifold at one point, and now that I have the rear-dump headers installed, the wire is too short to boot.

Back to the parts store for a 45-inch side-battery cable, which I then swapped onto the starter, and this time fed the battery cable UNDER the frame rail and back up to the Ford solenoid mounted next to the heater box.

My fun continued after I cut a piece of 2.5" flex-pipe in half and built my "adapters" to go from the headers to what's left of my exhaust system.. only to find that the flexpipe wouldn't bend enough on one side, and was way too long on the other, and that the header flange and one short piece of pipe would work on one side, and the flange with a 45 or 90 would do the job on the other - no flex required.

'course, the parts store was closed, and my MIG was at MY shop, while I
was working at my mom's.. (the curse of two shops, whatever you need is at the other one.. no matter which one you're at).

*sigh*

I don't know what I'm going to do once I have everything moved out to my place, and the parts store is a 30 minute round-trip.

I'll probably end up buying more stuff than I need, and still misplacing it.. but somehow it'll still take up more storage room.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout