Re: [ihc] A/C and wiring

Ryan,

Crack the books again, it's not SILICONE, it's SILICA.  Different stuff.

When they first started doing conversions it was thought that all hoses,
o-rings, etc., would have to be replaced.  As time went on, it was found
that hoses that were serviceable with R12 sealed themselves over their
lifetime with the old refrigerant oil and they work as well, if not better,
than new hoses.

You may be going to school for it, I've converted maybe 60 or 70 vehicles
and I'll stand by my real world experience over what the books say (which,
btw, in the automotive world they do NOT recommend replacing the hoses
anymore unless they're damaged, and haven't for at least 6 or 7 years in the
schools that *I'VE* been to for automotive A/C work).

Aircraft maintenance and repair is a whole other ball of wax because of the
regulatory issues involved.  If the FAA or the manufacturer mandates that
all hoses be changed, then by GOD they WILL be changed, if it's a good thing
or not!  8-)

You're learning as much regulatory compliance in class as you are mechanics
and they don't transfer well into the real world sometimes.

I wasn't talking about the seals wearing out in the York/Tecumseh, I was
talking about the piece of crap locking up a rod or having some other
catastrophic failure.

The York/Tecumseh is a reciprocating compressor, just like a small engine.
It was not designed (back in the times that IH used them) for the oils that
are required now for R134.  They also were not designed for the higher
pressures that R134 operates at.  Both of those things shorten the life of a
device that was never all that reliable (or smooth in operation) to begin
with.  Both the oil change and the higher pressure makes the compressors run
hotter and changes the clearances in them.  Test the theory out sometime by
putting a infrared pyrometer on the case of one before and after a 134
conversion.  I have, when I wanted to find out why the Tecumseh's wouldn't
last after conversion to 134.  I may even have an old case or two laying
around here with a ventilation hole in the side after the rod snapped.

I don't have a problem in the world with someone converting a York/Tecumseh
over to R134.  Just don't waste time and money resealing something that's an
antiquated design to begin with.  Put a new receiver drier on it, change the
oil, load it with 134 and be happy as long as it works.  In a couple of
years when the compressor shells out, then do the upgrade to a modern
compressor.

John Stricker