Re: [ihc] A/C and wiring

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stricker" <jstricke@domain.elided>
To: "IHC Digest" <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 16:45
Subject: Re: [ihc] A/C and wiring

> Actually, a far better solution is to use the York/Tecumseh compressor for
> it's true purpose, that of a boat anchor, and replacing it with a
> Sanden/Sankyo unit that will run smoother, take less power, and last at
> least 4 times longer without a leak.
>
> I have a write-up for putting it on a Scout on the BB and virtually all
the
> steps should be the same since they go on the same engine as the Travelall
> and they are, for all intents and purposes, the same design system.
>
> You need to replace the receiver/drier and it has desiccant in it, not
> silicone.  It needs to be replaced due to age and contaminants over the
> years.  Since the system is an expansion valve type system, it will work
> fine with 134 or R12 without any other changes.  You don't need to replace
> your hoses unless you suspect they're damaged or leaking in some way,
> they'll work fine with R134.

Don't agree with that.  We studied in depth conversions between the systems
in my aerospace systems class (piston a/c still use freon, with many older
ones using R-12, of course a change in an aircraft requires an STC and is
big $$$ anyway).   Anyway, hoses that didn't leak with R12 may leak with
R-134a.   BTW, IIRC the dessiccant is made with silicone...

> Use one of the new oils that are multi-purpose and you'll be fine.
>
> If you stick with the York/Tecumseh style compressor and go to R134 and
it's
> compatible oil, don't expect the compressor to last more than a year or
two
> as the units aren't really designed to work properly with that oil and
> won't, at least for long.
>
> John Stricker

If you actually get new seals put in they'll last as long as in their
original R-12 applications.  Another thing about the rubber parts all
needing to be replaced.  Most people don't get the seals redone so they may
start leaking.  The units will work fine with R134a if you get the
appropriate seals put in.  It's nothing to do with design, it's simply the
seals.

Aircraft use both types of compressors btw.   I don't know if it'd be cost
effective to get the York rebuilt rather than simply buy a sanden, but a
sanden isn't your only option.

-Ryan

---