[ihc] Re: 266 w/ knock -- material identified, options

On May 22, 2004, at 2:19 AM, Eighteen Rabbit wrote:

I called the IH place today to see what it would cost to put in some
new bearings & check the cam. To say it is cost prohibitive is putting it
mildly, since that would cost about as much as I paid for the truck! But
one option did cut the cost down: If I pull the engine and more or less get
it prepped, they thought they could put in new bearings for me and keep
at a price I could afford.
Kyle,

If you have the engine out, any competent machine shop can do the bearing work for you, chances are for much less than the IH place.

Putting the 345 in sounds like a really good cheap option, but like all jobs of this nature, you'll run into unexpected problems such as Greg describes, but all of these should be solvable, and will require more patience than money.

John Hofstetter