[ihc] Re: 266 w/ knock -- material identified, options

     Not having been inside the bottom end of an engine, I didn't have a
clue what the material was that I found in my oil pan.  A big thanks to
those of you who pointed to the cam bearing babbitt.

     I called the IH place today to see what it would cost to put in some
new bearings & check the cam.  To say it is cost prohibitive is putting it
mildly, since that would cost about as much as I paid for the truck!  But
one option did cut the cost down:  If I pull the engine and more or less get
it prepped, they thought they could put in new bearings for me and keep
at a price I could afford.

Another piece of the pie:
     The previous owner lived a 5 hour drive away from me.  When I picked up
the truck, the owner lamented that the 266 was making noise and threw in a
spare engine in case the noise was something fatal.  It is a 345 that
was pulled from a late 70's pickup.  He loaded it up...  When I got back to
town, I realized I had no way of getting that 700# beast out of the back of
the
Scout!  I had to buy an engine lift just for that purpose!  The engine and
lift are
about 40 miles away at a friend's house, as there was no way I could keep it
in
my apartment!

     I've never pulled an engine, but it looks like that is what I will have
to do!  I will no doubt be posting to the Digest as I pull and then prep the
engine(s).  I hope the learning curve is steep!  I have the service manual,
so that should help out!

By the way, I have some photos of the Scout on the web at:
http://www.uidaho.edu/~thor7358/scout/

Thanks again for all your help!
~Kyle Thoreson