Re: [ihc] Off topic brake question

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Leo Horishny wrote:

> I can't remember now if it was new front rotors or just resurfacing and
> quoted me $900 for the job.
>
> My wife is now insisting we take advantage of a Brake Team $99 offer.  I

No idea who Brake Team is, but call them and ask if that $99 offer applies
to your 'burb (or any similar sized truck).  I bet it doesn't.  If it
does, find out exactly what it includes... Then call your mechanic back
and get a price breakdown and compare what he'll do with what they'll do.

Next, there is the "quality of work" issue to keep in mind.  Your regular
mechanic knows you, and knows that if he screws up, he looses you as a
customer.  The guys working in the shop at BT could probably care less....

And a quick story.  Friend had a '00 GMC dually.  Rear wheel cyl's blew
out at about 15000 miles (ie, a few months).  GMC and dealer refused to
cover it, since no brake components are warrantied.  He opted to get it
fixed on the cheap at a major recognizable chain whose initials might be
PB.

A few days later, he towed his 3 car 5th wheel loaded to Atlanta.  Coming
home, the rear axle came /off/ the truck at ~70+mph on the interstate.

As you can imagine, this did plenty of damage...the trailer was totaled,
the truck took 20k to fix.  Good thing for everyone involved, the trailer
was empty!  Imagine if these were your 4 horses.....

Anyway, cause?  Failure by the brake jockey to do a final torque. PB is
good about these claims, and put up no fight...but none the less.

--
        David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen@domain.elided	   http://www.expita.com/nomime.html