Re: [ihc] Off topic brake question

Leo Horishny wrote:
LH> I understand many here are do it yourself brake mechanics, but I'm not and
LH> as we were looking for something to
LH> tow a 4 horse trailer, we purchased a 91 'Burb.   When we did a pre purchase
LH> check, the mechanic I normally go
LH> to told us the brakes were in need of total replacement soon: rear drums
LH> turned, new rear shoes, new front pads and
LH> I can't remember now if it was new front rotors or just resurfacing and
LH> quoted me $900 for the job.

LH> My wife is now insisting we take advantage of a Brake Team $99 offer.  I
LH> remember talk way back when about the
LH> pitfalls of the Midas "Lifetime" brake shoes and am wondering what the catch
LH> is between the price between my
LH> local guy and the chain operation.  I understand that the BT price would
LH> have to be a little more than $99, but no
LH> where near 9 bills.

LH> Feel free to reply offlist.   Thanks,

LH> Leo Horishny
LH> Sun Valley, NV

$900 does seem like alot, especially for a '91 suburban.  But I would
never even consider taking any of my vehicles to one fo those $99
brake job shops.  The $99 brake job simply doesn't happen except in an
extremely few cases.  The fact that they advertise hard on this and
then don't deliver the majority of the time tells me that it's not the
type of business I want to deal with.  They may well do a competent
job at a good price but I thoroughly dislike their advertising
practices to the degree that I won't even give them a chance.  Then
there's the idea that to even give a $99 brake job that they aren't
paying there techs too well and ... "you get what you pay for"(within
reason).

I would insist on NOT taking it to a $99 brake job shop but get two
other estimates from independents or reputable outlets of a chain.  If
all three are around $900, then there's your answer.  If not, you've
got more questions to ask.

Heck, get a quote from a Chev/GMC dealer.  Generally this should be
your MOST expensive route.

Ken