Re: [ihc] Off topic brake question

> check, the mechanic I normally go
> to told us the brakes were in need of total replacement soon: rear drums
> turned, new rear shoes, new front pads and
> I can't remember now if it was new front rotors or just resurfacing and
> quoted me $900 for the job.

I have a feeling we're missing some part of the story.  It sounds like you
trust this mechanic, so assuming he's trustworthy there is something else
he sees as needing to happen.  Maybe wheelbearings, brakes, and new lines?
New master cylinder?   $900 for shoes, pads, and a turn is unbelievable.

I priced out the parts on carparts.com - which will probably run cheaper
than a mechanic, but still should serve as a marker:

I did a 6.2 diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 just assuming it would have the most heavy
duty brake parts..

The most expensive front pads I could find were $54
strikes me as low, but regardless.

most expensive shoes where $90

shims if needed most expensive were $9x2

most expensive rotors - $91 x 2

drums (as always most expensive) 178 x 2

I dont' know what the difference between the following 3 are, but if
someone wants to let me know I'd appreciate it.

front calipers loaded at 70x2
semi-loaded - 30 x 2
unloaed 50 x 2

caliper piston 30
caliper bolt - 9

master cylinder - from 20 - 130 so say 130
master cylinder cap - 11
  ::gasket 4
hydrovac unit - 209 - I don't know what this is either.

etc.......

So assuming you needed everything related to parts I could see it getting
over 900.  I've never had to do anything near this amount when doing
brakes though.  9 times out of 10 its just front pads and sometimes rear
shoes.  Parts would be less than 100.   If your mechanic is saying 900, he
must be talking about some serious brake work - more than how he presented
it to you above.  I would take the advice of the previous emails and get
another opinion and or a break down from your mechanic - I would not go
the cheap chain route.

I'm interested in hearing the whole story if you get it.

Take care,
Jeff